04 February 2009

Vigo


Here's a picture of where I will be going- Vigo, Galicia, Spain
I leave 4 days from today. I have a lot of mixed feelings, but overall I'm excited, maybe a little apprehensive. These last couple days I've been feeling sad about leaving with lots of temptations to fear. I feel like God was telling me something today: fear is a choice and so is courage. A friend of mine once said something like courage is not the absence of fear but the ability to walk through it without losing sight of God. 
I think that Peter from the New Testament and I would be really good friends. I'm not a theologian and I certainly don't know the Bible as well as I really need to, but I think we have a lot in common. He denied Jesus 3 times; I don't even know how many times I've done that. He begged Jesus not to give up his life but to save himself; that was right before Jesus said, "Get behind me satan!" Ha. I unsuccessfully often try to save myself. Peter wanted to walk out on the water and do something courageous to see Jesus in a new light. Fear gripped him and he started to sink. I definitely think I'm currently in the same boat as Peter on this one (ha, same boat, get it?). I've got one foot out on the water and one still in the boat, contemplating this big adventure I'm about to go on. Kudos to Jesus and Peter that I have the opportunity to examine my motives and make that decision before I get both feet in the water. Should I fear or should I be bold and courageous? I know God is with me. He's gone before me, and hallelujah, he's already in Spain. I think the choice is obvious.

No comments: